We've been hearing about "basement day" and "elevator day" at Shawn's preschool since November. He comes home and tells us all about what went on upstairs or downstairs at the dinner table. When I finally inquired about this with his teacher yesterday, she had no idea what I was talking about. Shawn immediately ran over to me and said, "mama, I told you I was just joking about that!" Completely perplexed and convinced I had a pathological liar on my hands, I left school completely confused. We had heard of these days a few times a week.
Afterschool, I sat down with Shawn and asked why he would make up all of this to to us. He broke down and started crying, "I just wanted to have 'specials' like all the other kids have! They have gym day and art day and I don't have any special days at preschool!" It was so sad, he just wants to go to school so bad. I didn't realize that at dinner I always asked the kids what special they had, simply to start conversation. Poor guy was feeling left out. :(
No comments:
Post a Comment